Staying active should be an important part of everyone’s lifestyle, especially as you get older. Exercise has many different benefits, which can help you feel better the older you get, and allows you to perform certain tasks more easily. Make sure to try and do at least one of these exercises each day to feel your best.
- Aerobic exercises. Spending just 30 minutes each day doing activities such as walking, biking, or swimming will help keep your heart and lungs healthy. Simple household chores will also help to get your heart rate up in a healthy way.
- Strengthening exercises. Doing strengthening exercises two to three times a week will help strengthen your muscles, as well as build up bone density. These exercises are activities such as climbing stairs, using dumbbells, or resistance bands.
- Stretching. Stretching each day is a great way to improve your flexibility and allow for easier movement throughout the day. Sign up for a yoga or Pilates class, or simple stretch on your own for at least 10 minutes each day.
- Balance exercises. Doing exercises such as yoga and tai chi can help to improve your balance and reduce your risk of falling.
When you are exercising, it is important to make sure that you do all you can to stay safe. Keep these safety tips in mind to help make sure that you are not injured while exercising.
- Always wear the proper gear, such as well-fitting shoes when you are walking.
- Only exercise when the temperature permits it, such as in the cool morning or evening hours.
- Keep hydrated. Always take a drink of water when you are feeling thirsty.
- Stop if you feel any pain. If the pain gets worse, make sure to see your doctor.
For more ways to stay healthy later in life, contact Senior Choices NW in Wilsonville, Oregon.