While healthy foods are the key to a healthy life, a sweet, as long as its done in moderation, is certainly encouraged. Here is a great recipe for overnight apple butter.
Slow-cookers can make more than a tender, meaty dinner for your family. You may now be wondering, what else can my slow-cooker do? As it turns out, it can make a sweet apple butter spread that will knock your socks off. It goes great on a toasted English muffin or served over pork chops for that tangy, sweet taste. We at SeniorChoices NW don’t like to mislead with our recipes, so while this recipe is fat-free, it is packed with brown sugar–the slightly healthier sugar.
- 1/8 teaspoon of Ground Mace
- 1/4 teaspoon of Ground Cloves
- 1 teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of Apple Cider
- 1/2 cup of Honey
- 1 cup of packed Brown Sugar
- 10 medium apples (2.5 lbs.), peeled and cut into large chunks
- Combine all ingredients in a 5-quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or until the apples have turned very tender.
- Place a large fine-mesh sieve over a bowl; spoon one-third of apple mixture into the sieve. Press the mixture through the sieve using the back of a spoon or ladle–discard the pulp.
- Repeat until slow cooker is empty of apple mixture.
- Return the sieved apple mixture and cook on high for another 1.5 hours or until the mixture is thick–stirring occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy.
All of us SeniorChoices NW hope you enjoy this delicious recipe. It’s important to make sure you are covered in case something does go wrong. Health insurance plans change yearly, as do your healthcare needs, so make sure to review your options. Contact SeniorChoices NW in Wilsonville, Oregon.