Did you know that February is American Heart Month? This honorary month goes towards raising awareness for the number one killer in the United States for both men and women. Unfortunately, a large majority of us simply do not have a hold of our heart health and are leaving our most vital organ vulnerable on a daily basis.
During American Heart Health Month, take control of your heart’s health by following these important lifestyle habits and changes:
- If you are slacking on your physical fitness, it is time to get moving. You should be participating in at least 30 minutes of moderately intense exercise daily. This may mean adding a nightly walk after dinner to your daily routine.
- Those who smoke are extremely susceptible to heart disease and other illnesses, so if you smoke, it is time to quit the stick. The sooner you quit the sooner your entire body will be able to take advantage of the health benefits.
- You should be indulging on a heart healthy diet that is low in fat and salt. Start eating more fruits and veggies while incorporating foods that are high in fiber.
- Maintaining a healthy weight is extremely important in taking control of your heart health. Knowing your weight and BMI number at all times can help you determine what lifestyle changes are necessary to lose or gain the right amount of weight.
- Most importantly, visit your doctor regularly and ask questions regarding your heart health. This means asking about your particular risk for heart disease, your blood pressure, your cholesterol, and everything in between.
Join us in recognizing February as American Heart Health Month. There are Medicare Advantage plans specifically designed for people with chronic heart disease. Our agents are located throughout Oregon, including the Portland metro area. Contact SeniorChoices NW in Wilsonville, Oregon to learn more about American Heart Health Month and available Medicare Advantage plans.