As healthcare has changed with the innovation of the regulations set forth by the Affordable Care Act, one of the most notable alterations has come with the change in when marketplace coverage is available. According to the ACA, individuals are only able to secure the health insurance they need during designated open enrollment periods. The last open enrollment began on November 15th, 2014 and ended on February 15th, 2015. By the numbers, here is what happened during that three month period.
- 4 million Americans either signed up for healthcare for the first time during this open enrollment period, or had their plans that were secured during the previous open enrollment automatically renew.
- 87 percent of people who signed up for a marketplace plan were eligible for a tax credit that will make their health insurance more affordable in 2015.
- $268 was the average amount of the monthly tax credits people who signed up for coverage through HealthCare.gov and qualified for tax credits received to lower their cost, as of January 30th.
- 25 percent more plans were available in the 2015 healthcare marketplace, making it that much easier for Americans to find the right plans to meet their needs.
- 86 million was the greatest number of HealthCare.gov users recorded in a single day during open enrollment.
- 60 fewer screens needed to be clicked through in order to apply for coverage on HealthCare.gov, down to 16 from 76 last year.
- 200+ languages were spoken by people working at the Marketplace Call Center who helped people get the health insurance they needed during open enrollment.
So you can stay informed about the changing face of healthcare, including the dates of the next open enrollment period, contact SeniorChoices NW. Located in Wilsonville, Oregon, we are here to help you get the health insurance coverage you need to be protected all year long.